All About US | Border To Border

US Citizens Will Need Visa For EU Travel Starting In 2021

New EU travel requirements mean (slightly) more paperwork for …

Starting in 2021, Americans will need to register to travel to EU

If, like me, you’ve been following almost every single update with regards to Brexit and the situation with the EU/Schengen zone, you may have seen the news headlines that sounded a bit like the above. (They are links, in case you really feel the need to divert away from my amazing content and upset me; more articles of mine like this can be found right here).

Well let me tell you now; they are bait. As I covered in a recent article, For British Eyes Only, after Britain actually leaves the EU, or 2021 (whichever is sooner) UK citizens will have to apply for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) which is not a visa but a short submission form in order to enter the Schengen zone. Well, the USA will also have to follow suit.

Currently, as of writing this, the U.S. do not need any form of visa to enter the Schengen zone on the condition their stay doesn’t exceed 90 days in a 180 day period. But in order to establish exactly who is travelling throughout the zone, they have announced that all U.S. citizens will have to apply for an ETIAS; which is not a visa.

It is in fact a similar form that the USA use for EU citizens; who all have to fill out an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization). In some ways it’s a reciprocal deal to protect EU citizens as Poland, Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria all need to obtain a visa before arriving in the United States whereas the remaining EU states do not.  

I went into more detail in the previous post (so do check that out if you haven’t yet), on what is needed in order to obtain an ETIAS but basically you need basic administration details: name, address, passport details, and an administration fee of €7 is required. In exactly the same way for Brits, it will be valid for three years at first, and the traveller will be able to enter the Schengen Zone as much as they want under the same 90 day rule.

For more information on this, and to perhaps get even more info on the ETIAS/Schengen Zone, head to the following website:

One thought on “All About US | Border To Border

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.